Finding the Energy to LIVE!
We all feel tired at times. Many of us have lives where we are juggling the needs of all those around us, often losing time for ourselves. However, it is not normal to feel tired all the time. Chronic fatigue can be misunderstood, as an imbalance does not always show up on blood tests. But if you are feeling tired all the time, it is important to listen to what your body is trying to tell you!
Why do I feel so tired?
In order to keep energy levels at a peak, it is important to attain all the nutrients that your body needs. Our energy powerhouses are our mitochondria, which are present in each one of our cells. They require specific nutrients in order to function optimally and to give us the energy we need.
Energising Nutrients for healthy mitochondria:
- CoQ10 is a vital antioxidant for mitochondrial energy production. It also protects against tissue damage from ‘free radicals’ in the body.
- Magnesium is needed to convert the food that we eat into energy. Once made, these energy units must bind with magnesium to be transported and utilised in our body.
- B vitamins are essential for energy production in our mitochondria.
- Acetyl-L-carnitine bring fats into our mitochondria to burn for energy.
How can I get my energy bursting again?
- Eat a diet that is rich in vegetables, protein and good oils. Avoid saturated and transfats, processed foods and sugars.
- Drink at least 30ml per 1kg of body weight a day (for instance, if you are 70kg, you need 2.1L water a day, more if you exercise a lot.
- Avoid stimulants, such as caffeine, which can deplete B vitamins needed for our mitochondria to function properly.
- Exercise stimulates the production of more mitochondria, which means more energy! So exercise 4-5 times a week. If you feel really tired, go for a walk, or do some yoga to re-energise.
- Try to avoid stress – stress puts a lot of pressure on our mitochondria.
- Sleep for 7-9 hours a night.
Want to get your ‘Spark’ Back?
Book an appointment. We can investigate the causes for your fatigue and put a programme in place for you that can help you get your spark back for good!